Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 5 - 1/2 Way, Baby!

No salt water flush this morning, as I would be attending church and didn't want to have to make multiple runs to the bathroom AND have a stomach ache all morning long. However, I don't seem to be having any trouble "eliminating" plenty just using the senna tea. I'll re-evaluate whether to keep using it starting tomorrow morning or whether the senna is doing enough of a job.

Today the boredom hit - boredom with the absence of all things food-related. I looked at a couple of bags of chips in my daughter's kitchen, and I wasn't tempted to eat them (didn't have to use mega amounts of self control), but I realized I was missing EATING.

I have had a couple of experiences in my life when I simply couldn't eat. One was when a doctor had inadvertently nicked my colon during a fairly minor surgical procedure, and all heck broke lose. I was hospitalized for nearly 3 weeks, and the majority of that time I could not eat a darn thing. A good part of those days I had no appetite and was zoned out on morphine, so it didn't matter much. But when I started to feel a little better and still couldn't eat, that was rough. I distinctly remember my family bringing in a bunch of take out Chinese food and having a feast when I was finally well enough to indulge.

Years later, I went through a very difficult time following a major surgery, where my digestive system seemed to just give up. I'd try to eat, but my body would react very negatively, and finally I had to be put on TPN for nearly 4 months to keep some nutrients flowing through me. That, too, was a really awful period of time where I really couldn't eat.

I have to remind myself that right now I'm CHOOSING not to eat. There's a big difference between making that choice and being too sick to eat. Instead I'm making a choice to be more healthy.

And that's all good!

1 comment:

  1. woo hoo, way to go! You're making me want to do it again! I fasted most of Saturday and all of Sunday and was feeling so good I wanted to keep going......so maybe it's time for another cleanse!

    ~Sarah (signed in as Jon)

    ReplyDelete